Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Insuring your 2010 is the best it can be...5 Questions

It's that time of year again...We look forward to quickly forgetting what happened in 2009 and look for a bigger, brighter, happier, more rewarding 2010.

I love this time of year, because I get a chance to socialize with more people at holiday get togethers. I like talking to people I dont know and asking them questions to see what makes them tick. What is motivating them. Once I get to know someone new, I will start to ask some deep questions. The questions are not that profound, however the looks I get are very interesting. The questions usually center around goals and what they want out of life. I am trying to find out if they have them...for one. But also I am trying to understand if they know what they want out of life. To spare you the details, the answers are not specific and come down to "I just want to be happy". Or by achieving this, ultimately "I will be happy."

And you wonder why drug abuse and alcohol abuse is rampant today. Its the quickest and easiest way to get someone to a temporary happy.

But if we want to really be a useful member of society, not have the negative affects of drug or alcohol - Research has found that the way to achieve happiness, is the pursuit of a worthwile goal or goals. After two years of a bad knee and getting that repaired, I started training to start competing again in the Masters series of track and field. The event being pole vaulting. Now having to lose 26 lbs is no fun. I really dont like getting up early to work out at 5:00am every day either. But i have very specific goals set. The interesting thing is I feel great. I am in a better mood. I feel more passionate about life. It is affecting every area of my life - for the better. Here's the secret. It's the pursuit of your defined goals that will get you to that long term Happy.


As many of us know and have heard before - we need to set goals. As the new year approaches, this is as good a time as any to start planning your success for 2010. We need to create that road map that will bring us to prosperity and bring us all of our hopes and dreams that somehow alluded us in 09.

But, before we do however, there are some specific questions we need to ask ourselves. Questions that will put us in the right state of mind - to be able to set very POWERFUL goals with the horsepower behind them to achieve them - in the face of any obstacle. I know it sounds a little heavy....but trust me. Write these down and spend a good 30 minutes on each question. Internalize them. Get them attached to the core of your being.

Question 1.

What were my successes in 2009?

By taking stock of what went well last year, it will help you realize that the year might have been a better year than you thought. For me for instance - it made me realize the obvious successes that I achieved with hiring the right people as well as new accounts we brought in. Feel good about your successes - even celebrate.

Question 2.

What were some of my shortcomings in 2009?

We know what we did well. Now lets take a look at what didn't go as well as planned. Why not? Was it something you did? Something you did not do? Was it the economy? Or was it the decisions you did not make - that caused you the shortcomings? Did you not make the change fast enough? If you find your self blaming something or someone else, go back and ask those questions to yourself.
Then once you got these down...

Question 3.

What Can I learn from 2009?

Along with this question is this one - "What three things personally and three things professionally that if I can change today , will significantly impact my life for the better." Many of us could go on with more the three, but three will be enough - if they are the most important ones. These are the things you need to put on the top of your list - and take action on today. Action to change these three things - so 2010 can be rid of the distractions that will keep you from your potential.


Question 4.

What am I truly Grateful for in my life?

When goal setting you need to keep in the forefront of your mind what is most important to you. By taking a look at what you are grateful for, you can make sure your goals are consistent with whats most important to you. Goals that are not congruent with what is most important to you - tend to be self defeating. You don't want to just win the battle, but ultimately end up losing the war. For example - if one of your goals is to get more customers all over the us, however it will take you away from your family more often - we may need to rethink that strategy. Sit back. Reflect. Smile....Isn't it such a great feeling to focus on what you are grateful for..

Question 5.

What is my Why?

Probably the most important question of all. Your "Why" is the how come I get up in the morning. Its the thing that drives you. Its what you are passionate about. Its what you are excited, enthusiastic about in life. It's what you will climb any mountain for - walk through a brick wall for - or even take a bullet for. It could be an event, a person, or purpose. If you can develop and internalize that powerful "WHY" the how will be.....easy.

The "Why" that drove me to obtain my goals early in my career was an event that happened about 23 years ago. I had alot going on in life all at once. I had built our first house, had two new cars and my wife and I had our daughter Danielle. About three months after our daughter was born - I decided to take another job. Great company - but it was 100% commission. Everything was fine until about three months in - the economy slowed and so did the commission checks. When Danielles 6 month shots were due, I didn't have the money to get her - her six month shots. I only needed a few hundred bucks - but the thought of not having $200.00 for her six months shots bothered me. I couldn't sleep. "I didn't have enough money to get my Daughter basic health care!" That event drove me to achieve things that I might have not achieved if that didn't happen. I became the companies top rep, got promoted and that event was the beginning of an unbelievable career.

Your "Why" is always the most powerful when it is NOT about you. If you can figure out your "Why"....the rest will be a given.

By answering these five questions and really internalize them, you will be well on your way to making 2010 your best year yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment